Being vegan doesn’t mean you can enjoy the Holidays eating cookies. We found this vegan peanut butter cookies that look delicious for dessert.
For the chocolate kisses:
1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
For the cookies:
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla soy milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup turbinado sugar (for coating)
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave (about two minutes); the chocolate should be smooth, but not runny. Spoon melted chocolate into a small ziplock freezer bag. Snip the corner to make a tiny opening (or use an icing tip, if you have one) and pipe out 18 chocolate kisses. Set aside on the counter or in the fridge to cool.
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Beat the peanut butter and margarine in a large bowl until well blended. Add the brown sugar and beat again. Add soy milk and vanilla and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually beat this into the peanut butter mixture.
- Shape the dough into one-inch balls. Lightly roll each ball in turbinado sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake eight to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie, then transfer the cookies to a rack to cool. Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container.